Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln is back.. for the second time in the last six months, fortunately there are no vampires this time.

http://images.wikia.com/filmguide/images/3/36/Lincoln-poster.jpeg
Lincoln tells the story of Abraham Lincoln's last days in office, as he struggles to pass the 13th Amendment, that would end all slavery in america.

Right from the beginning, you can already tell that this movie is going to be great. The first few minutes alone really establish Lincoln as a character you really care about.

I should also say, that from beginning to end, this is a thoroughly political film, there is about 30 seconds of action in this two and a half hour long film. But you can't expect much action from a film, that is essentially a bio-pic about The 16th President of The United States. As we all know, Abraham Lincoln's life was really not that action packed.

That being said, this is not an easy film to watch! All the political stuff, for me was kind of hard to follow, but despite that, "Lincoln" is still a very good film. If you are looking for an otherwise, action-less, but nonetheless an engaging film, that also works a character study, than "Lincoln" is the film for you.

The actors are all fantastic. Everyone for Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field to Tommy Lee Jones and Joseph Gordon Levitt, deliver excellent performances.

As for Daniel Day Lewis in particular, his performance as Linoln is nothing short of mezmerising. From the first few scenes he's in, you can tell that Daniel Day Lewis has poured his heart into the role of Abraham Lincoln. For example in the scenes where you see him walk or move, for me that walk alone is so unique. And it's not only that, it's his whole performance.I, for example while watching this film, never thought of him as an actor playing a character, he is Lincoln and nothing will change that,

The time that the movie takes place in, is also very faithfully recreated. I really did feel like I was right there, next to Tommy Lee Jones during congress. What it must of been like during congress! All those hairy, filthy old men, arguing all the time. What a time the 19th century was!

I get it! I have never watched E.T and I'm not sure I will, but I do understand why Steven Spielberg is considered to be one of the best directors in Hollywood. It's because he is so versatile. He does almost everything, although i'm not sure if he has ever made an all out comedy film. Oh, who cares.

As for the Academy Awards, I think that Spielberg is good, but Ang Lee should win Best Director for his work on the amazing " Life of Pi."

Lincoln is a very good film and excellent cahracter study, although it is not really my kind of film. And as much as I loved Hugh Jackman's work in Les Miserables, I think that the Academy Award for Best Actor should go to Daniel Day Lewis.

                                                                            4/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment